Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Scary One

I didn't want to write about this when it was happening, because I didn't know the outcome.  Now that it is more sunshine and roses as opposed to doom and gloom so I can discuss. Thurs and Fri Brooklyn was clearly not feeling very well.  We spoke with various other puppy loving friends and they said her upset tummy was likely due to stress or a change in food.  Saturday morning it became very clear that we should probably take her to the vet. G and I both thought that we had just given her too many treats in our quest to get her to sit, so when the Vet came back with a more serious diagnosis I think we were both very shocked.  B had Parvovirus which can be a really serious puppy killing type of illness.  We had to admit her and the vet was honest about her chances...he said he really couldn't say.  There seems to be an outbreak in Barrie lately and some dogs make it and others don't.  Naturally I cried the entire time and felt like a total jack-hole by the time we left.  We both tried to be really positive about it but we were both pretty scared.  Garret joked that he was going to get a vasectomy because if he was this sad about our puppy he didnt think he could handle having kids.  We had to clean the house like crazy and throw out all her blankets and soft toys...so instead of Saturday being a joyous home renovatey day it ended up being me crying over a tub of bleach as I cleaned the kitchen floors kind of day.

Obviously the little Turd-meister really snuggled her way into our family and our hearts quickly.  Yesterday the clinic called and said that she was doing awesome, her temperature was down and she was eating and drinking and keeping it all down.  I picked her up last night and it was SO AWESOME to bring her home.  We had a serious Walsh family snuggle session with her on the couch once G got home as well. She was being extra turdy though so I am not sure if she just forgot her manners in the 2 days she was away, or she was just angry that we seemed to leave her behind to get poked and prodded!  But honestly we didn't care at all because we were just so glad she was home.

[caption id="attachment_1125" align="aligncenter" width="388"] sharpening her teeth[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1126" align="aligncenter" width="388"] Christmas is cancelled because of MY vet bill?![/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1127" align="aligncenter" width="388"] After getting some energy out she crawled into my lap for a snuggle. I took her off to get up and she just walked in a small circle and got in my lap again. After a near death experience a gal's just gota snuggle[/caption]

 

 

 

2 comments:

kimberly said...

so glad that she is ok... it is funny the way they sneak into your hearts isn't it!! and Garrett is right... when it is your kids... wow.. what you won't do for them! (good thing my daugher doesn't read blogs!!)

Jeanette @ This Dusty House said...

Oh my goodness. With both my puppies, Parvo was my worst nightmare. I can't imagine how terrified you must have felt! I am so glad to hear that she came through it ok. Poor Brooklyn!