Saturday, November 3, 2012

Lentil and Sweet Potato Chili

My mum sent me this recipe last week and I made it on Tuesday.  Garret and I are big meat fans, but I didn't feel like meat was missing from this veggie chili (although I'm not sure if he would say the same...) You could add a ton of other veggies to bulk it up as well!

2 tbsp oil
1 large  onion chopped
8 garlic cloves, sliced
1 tbsp each of chili powder, cumin seeds (i used powder) oregano
1 can lentils (540 ml) drained and rinsed
1 can tomatoes (796 ml)
1 sweet potato peeled and diced
1 chipotle pepper, packed in adobe sauce, minced (i didn't do this)
1 red pepper

sour cream and chopped cilantro and green onion to garnish.  I used grated cheese and  plain Greek yogurt

Heat oil, saute onion, pepper and garlic for about 5 min. stir in chili, cumin and oregano, cook just until spices heat through and become fragrant, a minute or two.  Stir in lentils and tomatoes, Add potato, chipotle pepper (if using)
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring until potatoes are tender...about 15 minutes. (I had to leave it longer than 15 minutes to get the potatoes to my liking)

No comments: