Thursday, June 30, 2011

Yet another ongoing job

On Saturday I decided (after a few minutes of feeling guilty in the hammock) that I would start to tackle a job we had been discussing for a while. Stripping!!!!! (not as naked as it sounds) The former owners left us with two exterior screen doors, for the front and kitchen doors. Both of which were covered with chipping,flaking dirty looking paint. We don't have much of a budget this year to fix up the outside so we want to get the most bang for our buck when it comes to the exterior. The plan is to sand and fix the two aging doors, staining them a nice dark colour which will add some punch to the outside. This will then be followed by a nice new house number and a less rust-bucket of a mailbox. (funny the things I am now most looking forward to in life!)



20110630-083105.jpg

For once I am happy about the gross sandbox that got left behind because I got to use it as a table for my sanding. As it usually seems to happen when we try to fix things here we soon ran into trouble. The paint on the door had been applied over a layer of varnish and stain so it was taking forever to get down to the wood. That palm sander had my hand feeling numb for the rest of the day! With such little progress and minimal sense of accomplishment i was feeling frustrated. I then took a trip up to Lowes and got some paint stripper, a scraper and a face mask. By the time I got back it was getting too late to tackle further so this shall be a long weekend project. Nothing says I love Canada like scraping paint off a door right? At least I will feel productive as G and his Dad finish building the shed!

No comments: