Monday, March 16, 2009

Farewell to a great man



:::
My grandpa passed away on Saturday afternoon at age 86. Here he is last spring dancing a jig in celebration of his 60th wedding anniversary. (Note my Nan looking at him like he is crazy) This is how I will choose to remember him, smiling and being somewhat silly, not like the scared fragile confused man he became in the past few months. He had cancer which seemed to cause some dementia and watching his rapid decline lately has been heartbreaking.
Quite fortunately I have had minimal experience with death. My Dad passed away suddenly three years ago, but this is the first time I have had to watch someone suffer and waste away. The past few weeks we have been praying for him to go, so that he wasnt in pain anymore. But getting the call from my mum that he had died wasn't any easier. Expecting the end doesn't seem to lessen the blow. We have always been really close, and I can already feel the hole in my life that he has left. Grandpa I love you.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh love, I am just so sorry. I wish I was down there to see you and give you a tremendous hug. xoxo

RokMomma said...

My condolences ... I too had to watch my Poppa go the same way, and I have also chosen to remember him in all his glory and not how he was near the end. I send you my love.

And I am very sorry to hear about your Father, I had no idea. I remember him quite well from the days of Wheelwright, growing up.