Thursday, January 26, 2012

Creamy Avocado Pasta

Last night my Mum was over and as we are known to do we tried a new recipe for dinner.  We have been looking for new healthy recipes to try and this one was delicious and easy so I thought I would share it.  It comes from Angela Liddon at Oh She Glows.  It's a neat blog full of vegan recipes and gorgeous pictures.  We tried her recipe for 15 minute  dairy free creamy avocado pasta.  Since I can't eat cream I am always on the look out for ways I can fake myself out.  Anyway, this was amazing and I will keep it on hand to make on the regular.

Ingredients:
• 1 medium ripe avocado, pitted
• 1/2 lemon, juiced + lemon zest to garnish
• 2 garlic cloves
• 1/4 cup fresh basil, packed
• 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1/4-1/2 tsp kosher salt, to taste
• Pasta

Directions:
1. Bring several cups of water to a boil in a medium sized pot. Add in your pasta, reduce heat to medium, and cook about 8-10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, make the sauce by placing the garlic cloves, lemon juice, and olive oil into a food processor. Process until smooth and scrape down sides of the bowl. Now add in the pitted avocado, basil, and salt. Process until smooth and creamy. You can add a touch of water or oil if necessary.
3. When pasta is cooked, drain in a strainer and place pasta into a large bowl. Pour on sauce and toss until fully combined. Garnish with lemon zest and black pepper. Serve immediately.
Please note: This sauce does not reheat well due to the avocado.

 

***  That served Mum Garret and I and it was amazing!!! If you weren't worried about the vegan part it would be phenomenal with some chicken.  And you could add other sautéed veggies as well.  yummy, quick and healthy...trifecta of awesomeness in my book

No comments: